Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Quickipedia or Weakipedia?

I am going to do my review on Wikipedia.
I've always been skeptical of using Wikipedia because I think it is not a good place for reliable information. Because everyone can edit its articles, It can be a commonplace for vandalism, and mislead ideas. Even though I think it is not a creditable source, I think it is awesome that information is being exchanged by people from everywhere. For being one of the most visited and scrapped informational search engine, Wikipedia has a worldwide influence. I think that It would be good opportunity for me to learn more about this controversial website, and write a review on it.

2 comments:

  1. Jana,

    Clever title! You have captured the tenor of the debate. Wikipedia has really stabilized over the last several years, and it has become far more reliable as a general overview.

    I find that I use it quite often for general surfing. I'll read something online elsewhere, and soon enough I'm looking on wikipedia to find out what's the deal with Schrodinger's Cat.

    It's interesting to me how the volunteer community of editors are really committed to managing the content. You wonder how they have time.

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie thanks for the comment! I think you are right! Wikipedia has become far more reliable, and it will only get better. I like this idea of wide spreading knowledge through contribution, and I think, as Bruns points, the more participants cooperate, the more likely it is that the development of solutions, and conclusions will be successful.

    ReplyDelete